*Subject to change. Please check the calendar for the latest schedule information.
- Class Periods / 授業期間
- Regular opening hours
Mon – Fri 8:45 – 19:00
Sat 9:00 – 17:00
- Test Periods / 試験・補講期間
- Mon – Sat 10:00 – 17:00
- University Holiday Periods / 長期休暇期間
- Mon – Fri 10:00 – 17:00, Sat Closed
About KUIS 8
KUIS 8 is a facility which opened on April 7th 2017 to house the SALC (Self-Access Learning Center), the ELI (English Language Institute), 16 classrooms, a cafe, and RILAE (Research Institute of learner Autonomy Education).
About the SALC
Specifically, our objectives are to support learners in:
- becoming part of a diverse, inclusive and multilingual learning community
- taking a prosocial perspective by not only interacting in their target languages but also supporting others in doing so
- becoming more aware and in control of their learning processes through reflection
- understanding variables that affect their learning such as previous experiences, interests, personality, motivations, needs and goals
- utilising appropriate communities, spaces, and resources for their own learning needs
- becoming confident language users
- developing language skills needed for future dreams
- developing leadership skills to understand and direct their own learning and also support others
*Prosocial behavior is something you choose to do to benefit or help others.
2001 – Building 4
2003 – Building 6
2017 – Building 8
About the ELI
Academic Support Area
Self-Access Learning Center
Kanda University of International Studies
1-4-1 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba, 261-0014, Japan
By Train (+ walk or bus)
- JR Keiyo-line: Kaihin-Makuhari stn., 15 minutes walk or 5 minutes bus (route 22).
- JR Sobu-line: Makuhari stn., 20 minutes walk.
- JR Sobu-line: Makuhari-Hongou stn., 15 minutes bus (route 21, 22, 33).
- Keisei-line: Keisei Makuhari stn., 15minutes walk.
Higashi-Kanto Expressway: 5 minutes from Wangan-Narashino I.C. exit (Exit for Tokyo direction traffic only), and Wangan-Chiba I.C. exit (Exit for Narita direction traffic only). Keiyo Expressway: 5 minutes from Makuhari I.C. exit.
Narita International Airport is approximately 40 minutes from the KUIS campus. Airport limousine stops are located conveniently at the nearby hotels, 5 minutes by car from the campus. Haneda Airport is also only 100 minutes from the campus by airport limousine.
SALC Section Map
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Come to the SALC regularly and take every opportunity to use English
- Find something you enjoy doing in English
- Make frequent goals (a learning advisor can help you with this)
- Reflect regularly on your learning; think about what you are doing and whether it is helping you
- Try different resources, methods and places to find your best ways to learn
- Learn with others
- News from the SALC
- Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal
- Kanda University of International Studies
- JASAL | Japan Association of Self-Access Learning
- SALC information for visitors